Monday, August 22, 2011

Kindergarten

R.I.P. our no-schedule-relaxing-fun-life. School started today. The first day of real school. Kindergarten. I had to set an alarm last night but I ignored it this morning. I just couldn't do it. She picked out her outfit. Daddy made her eggs and toast. We managed to have a happy, relaxing morning and we were on time for the first day. Successful.

J and I walked her in. We hung up her backpack, found her cubby, and gave her hugs and kisses. I visited the nurse to square away some things. We peeked in her classroom one last time before leaving. Music was playing. The teacher was dancing. Some kids were copying the teacher. Some just stared. K was one of the kids that stared but she sang the words as if she knew them. You know...always a half second behind because you don't really know the words so you're waiting for the word to be said before you sing it. It was cute. It made me really excited for this new phase of life. I walked out with a big smile on my face instead of the expected tears.
Oh K., I love you so much! The other night while you were fast asleep I snuck into your room and into your bed to steal a few cuddles from you. As you slept I stared. You still have the exact same beautiful profile I fell in love with from the ultrasound picture I stared at for months before I met you. My heart swelled with love and gratitude for being able to be your mom. In the past 5 years you have grown from my itty bitty baby to a sweet, creative, and most recently an inquisitive little girl!

Kindergarten started today and I know you are going to love it because you love to learn! I hope you continue to ask lots of questions and love learning. I hope you come home each day and tell me all about your day. I want to know about the things that got you excited and interested and the things made you nervous and confused. Did you do an art project today or read a new book? Did you learn about numbers or do a fun science project? Did a friend say something that made you really laugh? Did you sing any songs? Do you like school? I hope you like it as much as I did!

I hope you stay my sweet girl. I hope you are kind to everyone around you and I hope you become friends with those that are kind to you. I hope you are quick to say you're sorry when it's your fault. I hope that if someone is hurt you ask them if they are okay. I hope you help others when you can and I hope you ask for help when you need it. I hope you are respectful to your teacher and I hope you come to me if something at school is bothering you. We'll figure it out together!

I'm a little sad to lose you all day, but I'm mostly excited for you and this big adventure. You are so ready! You are ready to learn all the things that will help you become the best mom, teacher, ballerina, kitty, or whatever else it is you want to be when you grow up!!

5 comments:

Brad said...

Very sweet. She's going to have so much fun.

Lo said...

Awww...I've missed you. Olivia starts school in two weeks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to ball like a baby. Can you believe it kindergarten already.

amber wallace said...

Yay you're back! I loved this post. Is she in all day kindergarten? Leila is heading to 1st grade and Shane will have his 4 day a week preschool. I'm glad because they both love it. But I wish I still could have that half day schedule. It was bliss. Sounds like she will do so great. Such a smart and sweet girl. You go Mama Ellingson!

The Becks said...

That was such a sweet post! I can't believe you have a kindergartener! She looks adorable in her first day picture too!

jamie t. said...

I am sure that she is loving it! She seems like such a sweetheart. Welcome back btw.... I wondered where you had gone!