Grandma and Grandad arrived Wednesday. We had a fun and relaxing evening with them. W and I bathed the kids and put them to bed. We got all the kids' stuff ready for the next day - clothes, medicines, lunches, backpacks, directions. Then we packed our bags for the hospital and went to bed early. I was nervous. My other deliveries went so well. What if this one didn't? Thankfully, I slept so well and when the alarm went off at 4:30am I jumped up and was anxious to get going. My nerves were gone. We drove to the hospital when it was still dark outside. When we arrived we checked in and then we were escorted to our room. Knowing that I'd be holding our baby in our arms in just a few hours seemed unreal.
The nurses started me on fluids. Then pitocin. The contractions started. I enjoyed them. A little weird, I know. W and I chatted, read our books a little, and watched a little tv. I was too anxious to pay attention to any one thing. Then the contractions started getting too strong for me and I called for my epidural. A glorious moment. I can tell the contractions are getting stronger and closer together by looking at the monitor. I'm thankful I can't feel those. The nurses come in to check on me periodically. They tell me to call them when I feel great pressure down there or when I feel the need to push.
We call my parents to make sure everything went well getting the K and J to school. I'm so thankful my parents are here. I trust them. I know they'll get the kids where they're supposed to be. I know they'll spoil them with fun, attention, and love. That's exactly what I want for K and J at this time.
W goes off to grab an early lunch. Oh, I'm so hungry. I want lunch too. He had breakfast at 4:30 in the morning. I didn't have any breakfast. Where's my menu? He's back. I'm pretty sure my body is ready to have a baby. I feel the pressure. The nurse checks me. She tells me not to move. The baby is right there. They've got to call the doc. They're not even going to prepare the stirrups because they're afraid she'll come before the doc. This is always how it happens. Within 2 hours of getting an epidural my body is always ready to go.
We call my parents to make sure everything went well getting the K and J to school. I'm so thankful my parents are here. I trust them. I know they'll get the kids where they're supposed to be. I know they'll spoil them with fun, attention, and love. That's exactly what I want for K and J at this time.
W goes off to grab an early lunch. Oh, I'm so hungry. I want lunch too. He had breakfast at 4:30 in the morning. I didn't have any breakfast. Where's my menu? He's back. I'm pretty sure my body is ready to have a baby. I feel the pressure. The nurse checks me. She tells me not to move. The baby is right there. They've got to call the doc. They're not even going to prepare the stirrups because they're afraid she'll come before the doc. This is always how it happens. Within 2 hours of getting an epidural my body is always ready to go.
The doc arrives. He's ready. I push once. I'm watching W's face watch the arrival of our baby. Am I doing ok? Is the baby ok? Finally, with some words he assures me that everything is perfect. I push again. I watch W's face again. His watery eyes say she's here. It's still before noon. I hear her start crying her heart out. My heart is full. Water fills my eyes. W cuts the umbilical cord. They place the brand new screaming baby on my chest. I talk to her. She calms. Amazing. I'm her mother.
We cuddle. I try out different names on her. She's definitely Claire. I nurse her. This is all such a miracle!
The nurses take her. Weigh her. 6 lbs. 10 oz. Measure her. 19.25 inches.
Clean her. She cries but is happy to get her hair washed. Just like big sister.
I get my menu. Mm. I'm starving. W calls my parents. They'll be by later with the kiddos. Oh, I miss my kiddos and I can't wait to see them! W texts the whole world. I'm sure he still forgot a few people, but I'm too tired to care right now. The nurses dress baby and wrap her. W gets to cuddle her for the first time.
I tell him to try out different names on her. He does and agrees. She's our Claire. I get to eat and sneak in a short nap before being wheeled off to the recovery room. I love deliveries. I love this baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment